Consumer Health First (CHF), a statewide coalition for health care reform, identifies three important steps toward lowering insurance premiums for Maryland consumers – the “Three R’s”– and actions you can take to advance them. (more…)
Please Call Hogan’s office and demand he comply with the requests made by Maryland lawmakers
A group of Maryland Delegates have delivered a letter to Gov. Hogan urging him to intervene on behalf of immigrant children who have been separated from their parents by the Trump Administration and relocated to Maryland . (more…)
We are fast approaching the most consequential election in our lifetimes. We need ALL HANDS ON DECK. We are a blue state confronting serious challenges in November, and at the same time we have to support flippable House and Senate races outside of Maryland as well. To meet these challenges, we desperately need more volunteer leaders to help run our voter contact events and more people to sign up to be “boots on the ground”.
PHONE BANK HOSTS
Phone Bank Hosts open their homes to volunteers, typically once a week or once every other week. They work with our Phone Bank Leads to make sure all of our volunteers have a great experience and want to come back again. Great Phone Bank Hosts are gracious, dedicated to fostering a sense of community, and make volunteers feel comfortable and welcome. Time commitment: 3-4 hours per phone bank.
PHONE BANK ACTION LEADS
Phone Bank Action Leads set up and manage phone banks and collaborate with Phone Bank Hosts and other leadership to ensure that events run smoothly from top to bottom. They are responsible for making sure that the data from each event is recorded and reported correctly. Great Phone Bank Leads enjoy interacting with volunteers, have an eye for detail, and are patient and flexible. Time commitment: 3-4 hours per phone bank.
CANVASS ACTION LEADS
Canvass Action Leads organize and launch canvasses, whether local or remote. They oversee pre-event contact with volunteer canvassers, confirmations, and on-site launch operations, including signing in volunteers, handing out materials, organizing carpools and leading canvasser orientation/training. Time commitment: 3-4 hours per launch.
CANVASS TEAM MEMBERS
Canvass Team Members assist the Canvass Action Lead and help with canvass launches: signing in volunteers, handing out materials, organizing carpools and helping with canvasser orientation. Time commitment: 1-2 hours per launch.
VOLUNTEER PARTICIPANTS are also need for phone banks and canvasses on a near daily basis daily during the height of the campaign.
SIGN UP HERE and we will followup with additional information and training opportunities.
The Montgomery County Democratic Party Precinct Organization still has vacancies for precinct chairs, vice chairs and area coordinators in every district in the county. These positions are a great opportunity to engage with other Democrats in your precinct or a neighboring one, spread the word on upcoming elections and candidates, and be the face of the party at the most local level. If you’re interested, you can learn more about the position here. If you already know what the job entails you can apply directly here.
In another attempt to undermine the Afordable Care Act (ACA), the Trump administration recently announced it is freezing payments to health insurers who cover a larger share of sicker-than-average patients. This ACA program protected insurers with sicker patients from financial losses. The administration’s action will raise the health insurance premiums of many self-employed people and small business owners who are not eligible for ACA income-based subsidies. Urge your state representatives to pass a bill like the proposed Protect Maryland Health Care Act of 2018 to keep health insurance premiums from overwhelming those who are sicker-than-average.
Help us begin redistricting reform, starting at the local level.
The Department of Commerce has initiated a 60-day public comment period on their misguided decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census. This question will discourage some immigrants from participating for fear that the information will be used to harm them or members of their household. This, in turn, will threaten the accuracy of the count.
Census data are used to draw district lines for fair political representation and for the allocation of $675 billion in resources. It also helps businesses decide where to build and grow. Without an accurate count, communities across the country — largely those with greater populations of immigrants and people of color — will see a disproportionate reduction in federal funding and diminished voting power. This outcome will disproportionately favor Republicans in redistricting.
TAKE ACTION NOW: SUBMIT COMMENTS
The National Democratic Redistricting Committee urges everyone to comment on the proposed addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 Census form. You can comment directly to the the Department of Commerce.
Comments should be simple and direct; what matters is that you make your voice heard. Show how this decision impacts you and your community, while hitting four critical points:
- The addition of the citizenship question to the 2020 Census questionnaire is not necessary. Recently-released documents reveal that the question was added to advance the agenda of operatives like Steve Bannon and Kris Kobach — NOT to help the administration’s (non-existent) enforcement of the Voting Rights Act, as they have claimed.
- Adding the citizenship question will vastly increase the burden on the Census Bureau — both in terms of hours and cost to American taxpayers. The late addition of this untested question will reduce response rates and require more enumerators. This will likely add significant costs to the American taxpayer — costs that were not planned for and are not necessary.
- Removing the citizenship question from the proposed list of questions will enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information collected by the 2020 Census. Adding the citizenship question at this point serves only to undermine the Census Bureau’s process, tarnish its reputation, and impugn the integrity, fairness, and accuracy of the data that results.
- Removing the citizenship question from the proposed list of questions will minimize the burden on the Census Bureau in executing its constitutional responsibility to conduct a fair and accurate count of every person living in the United States. Career staff at the Census Bureau made clear to the political leaders at the Commerce Department that the inclusion of a citizenship question would negatively impact response rates, increase costs, and result in less valuable data — but the political operatives added it anyway.
CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY! SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND CONTACT FRIENDS IN OTHER STATES
We are in the fight of our lifetime. Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s nominee to replace retiring justice Anthony Kennedy, is no moderate! His appointment would create a monumental shift in the balance of the Court toward the right. Justice Kennedy was often (but not always) a moderating force on the Court, but Judge Kavanaugh has some extreme conservative views.
Kavanaugh most resembles Clarence Thomas in ideology and would join Thomas on the far right of the Court, according to the political analysis website Fivethirtyeight. At a minimum, this appointment would threaten: (see Politico)
- Reproductive Freedom of Choice – in light of previous written opinions, it is imperative that Congress ask Judge Kavanaugh to state his position on Roe v. Wade.
- Immigration – past rulings favor increased restrictions.
- Environment – repeatedly votes to limit EPA regulatory authority.
- Financial Regulations – wrote an opinion piece claiming that the structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Board is unconstitutional.
- Net Neutrality – called the FCC’s net neutrality order an “unlawful” First Amendment violation
- Civil liberties and civil rights – The ACLU warns that if confirmed, Kavanaugh could well be the decisive vote Trump needs in the Supreme Court for his concerted campaign to undermine civil liberties and civil rights.
Please call Senator Van Hollen and Senator Cardin today. While we know they are opposed to this nominee (read Sen Van Hollen’s statement), we need to urge them to use all of their influence to stop this nomination. And
- Identify yourself by name and give the name of the Maryland town you live in.
- Ask what the Senator intends to do about the Kavanaugh nomination.
- Thank the Senator and add from the folllowing:
- Demand that Judge Kavanaugh state his position on Roe v. Wade.
- Too much hangs in the balance to let Trump fill this seat with an extreme pick.
- Three Democratic senators broke ranks and voted with Republicans on the Gorsuch nomination. What does the Senator intend to do to make sure not one Democrat breaks rank this time?
- FOR SENATOR VAN HOLLEN ONLY: I urge Sen. Van Hollen to use his position as Chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee to keep Democratic Senators united in opposition to this nomination process.
- Thank the staffer for their time.
Read more about the Indivisible Strategy to Save the Supreme Court.