STOP KAVANAUGH! SAVE THE SUPREME COURT
CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY! SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND CONTACT FRIENDS IN OTHER STATES
We are in the fight of our lifetime. Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s nominee to replace retiring justice Anthony Kennedy, is no moderate! His appointment would create a monumental shift in the balance of the Court toward the right. Justice Kennedy was often (but not always) a moderating force on the Court, but Judge Kavanaugh has some extreme conservative views.
Kavanaugh most resembles Clarence Thomas in ideology and would join Thomas on the far right of the Court, according to the political analysis website Fivethirtyeight. At a minimum, this appointment would threaten: (see Politico)
- Reproductive Freedom of Choice – in light of previous written opinions, it is imperative that Congress ask Judge Kavanaugh to state his position on Roe v. Wade.
- Immigration – past rulings favor increased restrictions.
- Environment – repeatedly votes to limit EPA regulatory authority.
- Financial Regulations – wrote an opinion piece claiming that the structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Board is unconstitutional.
- Net Neutrality – called the FCC’s net neutrality order an “unlawful” First Amendment violation
- Civil liberties and civil rights – The ACLU warns that if confirmed, Kavanaugh could well be the decisive vote Trump needs in the Supreme Court for his concerted campaign to undermine civil liberties and civil rights.
Please call Senator Van Hollen and Senator Cardin today. While we know they are opposed to this nominee (read Sen Van Hollen’s statement), we need to urge them to use all of their influence to stop this nomination. And
- Identify yourself by name and give the name of the Maryland town you live in.
- Ask what the Senator intends to do about the Kavanaugh nomination.
- Thank the Senator and add from the folllowing:
- Demand that Judge Kavanaugh state his position on Roe v. Wade.
- Too much hangs in the balance to let Trump fill this seat with an extreme pick.
- Three Democratic senators broke ranks and voted with Republicans on the Gorsuch nomination. What does the Senator intend to do to make sure not one Democrat breaks rank this time?
- FOR SENATOR VAN HOLLEN ONLY: I urge Sen. Van Hollen to use his position as Chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee to keep Democratic Senators united in opposition to this nomination process.
- Thank the staffer for their time.
Read more about the Indivisible Strategy to Save the Supreme Court.