Support the Sierra Club’s Five Environmental Legislative Priorities
Our friends at the Sierra Club have identified five priorities for the Maryland State Legislature. You can learn more about their rationales and the bills proposed for each and access their letter-writing ap using the links below. Pick the issues that interest you most and send a message, or better yet, send messages for all five!
- Put Maryland on the path to 100% clean energy by 2040
At this critical moment, we need to dramatically expand clean energy, and turn away from the fossil fuels which are devastating our planet. We are supporting the Clean Energy Jobs Act (CEJA), with strengthening amendments. We also are supporting a companion bill to increase investment in clean energy through long-term contracts (LTC) for electricity. Clean Energy Fact Sheets 1 and 2 Here.
- Protect Maryland’s Waterways From Fracked Gas Pipelines. –
We must ensure that that the Maryland Department of the Environment conducts full, independent reviews of proposed gas pipelines using its authority under the federal Clean Water Act. Fact Sheet Here.
- Move Maryland Beyond Coal – We must set a timeline for the transition away from Maryland’s remaining coal-fired power plants, and support impacted communities and workers.
- Clean Transportation Yes, Widening Major Highways No – Maryland must embark on creating a 21st century, climate-friendly, clean transportation sector; the Governor’s expensive proposal to widen the Capital Beltway, I-270, and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway is antithetical to doing this. Fact Sheet Here.
- Ban Single-Use Foam Food Containers – These containers are a major part of the worsening plastic pollution harming our streams and oceans, and are easily replaced by environmentally-friendly substitutes. Fact Sheet Here.